Sunday, September 17, 2006

Engrish Interview

So I had this assignment in class. I was tasked to interview folks about the way I learned. The teacher didn't give any questions or guidelines beyond that so what I did was this: I interviewed Sarah extemporaneously and based my questions mostly on her responses. Then I interviewed 3 other people who represent different "times" in my college life. Sarah was the new since I met her in December of of last year. Crystal is the old since we met and dated my freshman year. Dylan is the middle ground, And Austin sort of spans the rest of them. If you want to comment please do! It will help my grade I'd wager since I am just turning in this link.

What kind of learner am I? Visual, Audio, Hands-on:
Sarah: I would say you are a hands-on leaner because you like to do things like make taffy*.
Dylan: Probably Hands on
Crystal: Hands-On
Austin: Hands-on

Which of the three would I be weakest at:
Sarah: Definitely aural. Because you and I both know that between the two of us if someone says something we won’t remember it.
Dylan: Aural.
Crystal: Audio.
Austin: Audio

So would you say I am bad at listening:
Sarah: You’re not bad at listening, it is just not your strong point, it is not mine either. It is funny because you don’t take notes in class, but it makes sense because your major is all about hands on programming.
Dylan: Umm, yeah, sure.
Crystal: I think you have room for improvement when it comes to listening, in comparison to the others.
Austin: No, you just don’t pay attention to uh, if you're not extremely interested in the subject you ignore the teacher.

Did my major shape my methods of learning or vice versa:
Sarah: Vice versa, I think you have to have that kind of, I dunno, focus on hands-on learning to be able to sit and [program]. It’s the same thing with people who edit films, which is funny because you are ADHD, I think you are an absurd person.
Dylan: Huh…I would say I don’t really have solid answer but if I had to answer I would say that your learning was shaped by your major.
Crystal: I don't think either shaped the other. But if I had to pick, your learning shaped your major.
Austin: I would say the latter

Considering all that do you think I would have good reading comprehension:
Sarah: Yes, because I know you and you’ve described all of the thorn* novel to me.
Dylan: Uhhh….On the scale of 1 -5 maybe a 4.
Crystal: I think you probably have good reading comprehension; but your learning style is unrelated to that.
Austin: yes.

So is my reading comprehension because of or in spite of my personality:
Sarah: I would say you have good reading comprehension, I don’t know. It’s not in spite of your personality because [your personality] is to understand everything, which is why you are ADHD because you overload yourself in a sensory way.
Dylan: I would say in spite of. I would say that your personality is contradictory to reading comprehension
Austin: Because of. I don’t think you can comprehend can be inspite of your personality.

Would you say I am confident in general:
Sarah: Yes,
Dylan: yes
Crystal: Uh, yeah.
Austin: The fact you even ask that is funny, yes. Fact is you are the most arrogant son of a bitch I know

Would you say I am confident in new areas:
Sarah: Yes,
Dylan: yeah,
Crystal: You always seem confident.
Austin: If you enjoy them, yes.

Would you say I tend to the over confident:
Sarah: No,
Dylan: at times,
Crystal: I think your consistent follow through shows that you are not over-confident.
Austin: At times

Do I let confidence get in the way:
Sarah: No you don’t you don’t because when you are in an area that you don’t know a lot about you ask instead of assume that you know more than the more experienced in the field .
Dylan: maybe, I think that you might let confidence mislead you at times. I think that you may rely on your past experiences and past triumphs too much in determining your current approach to things at times.
Crystal: In the way of what? <-my fault, I missed her asking this question…
Austin: no

Would you say I am skilled at learning:
Sarah: Yes,
Dylan: Yes,
Crystal: Yes
Austin: sure

Why:
Sarah: Because you are one of the most intelligent people I know. Obviously you weren’t born that way so you had to learn something.
Dylan: I think that it goes back to the confidence a little bit. I think that your confidence in your ability to learn, umm…encourages you to take risks in your learning and approach difficult tasks that other people might not, because of a lack of confidence to complete the task.
Crystal: Because you seem quick to pick up new concepts and willing to research stuff you don't know.
Austin: Umm, because I have seen you in situations where you don’t know much, that you're interested in you pick it up rather quickly and keep trying till you understand it.

What connection between intelligence and ability to learn do you assume:
Sarah: To have a diverse base of knowledge you have to have um like gone to find it. There is a better way to say it: You have to have searched it out and then have learned it. So my assumption is that ability to learn correlates with knowledge.

So you meant I am knowledgeable:
Sarah: Yes.
Dylan: Yes.
Crystal: Depending on the subject. Computer Science/Math stuff, yes. Things like World Issues/Teaching/History/Science... I don't Know
Austin: Yes

Name a couple of areas where I lack knowledge, in your experience:
Sarah: Candy Making* and Beatles History.
Dylan: From my past experiences maybe automobiles and chemistry.
Austin: Chemistry and flying a plane

Why do you think that is?
Sarah: you don’t have any desire that seek out that knowledge at this point. But you will when all 10 hours of the Beatles anthology are thrust upon you. You do have taffy making skills now though.
Dylan: Ummmm, lack of exposure, either required or necessary.
Crystal: I don't know if you lack knowledge in those areas. I just haven't been in the situation to see you demonstrate that knowledge.
Austin: I’ve never seen you fly a plane and I know you absolutely hate chemistry.

So would you say I only learn when I need to:
Dylan: I would say you tend to be more driven to learn when it suits you. You’re definitely the kind of person to tell someone to fuck off if you don’t want to learn something.

How often would you say I draw on prior experiences in educational and then personal areas:
Sarah: In every second. You have to do that or you are never going to build knowledge. That is just a human thing. That and I’ve never seen you make the same mistake twice.
Dylan:Educational past experience I would say quite often, and personally also quite often.
Crystal: Probably alot. But I don't really know.
Austin: Very often

On a scale of 1-10, how much did you pull your punches:
Sarah: 2,
Dylan: 1,
Crystal: 1
Austin: 3


*taffy – One night we decided to make salt water taffy and failed miserably. Our second attempt went well.
*thorn – She is actually referring to "Game of Thrones" which is the first in the immensely detailed fantasy series "The Song of Ice and Fire".


COMMENT!

7 Comments:

At 9:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So should we revoke your Chem credits?

 
At 10:01 PM , Blogger Alfonso Lopez said...

Oh sure. I have exactly 0 of them.

 
At 10:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

...i sound like i wasn't paying attention...haha

 
At 8:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The number of times you ask the question "Why?" just makes me think of Derek Zoolander.


"But why male models?"

 
At 8:33 PM , Blogger JT said...

Was 1 supposed to be the high number or the low number on your last question?

"So would you say I am bad at listening: "

I love the responses.

 
At 3:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope that you are having fun at home!!!

 
At 9:47 PM , Blogger Alfonso Lopez said...

I was actually at my sisters.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home