Sunday, September 03, 2006

Jacobo, We Hardly Knew Ye

Sometime in the middle of season 8 of friends my connection to Jacobo was lost. Through a complex process of pinging, sshing and prayer I determined that Jacobo was in fact the offending system.

So I focused my troubleshooting efforts on the physical Jacobo. It wasn't sending video to my tv and, even worse, wasn't spitting out /any/ POST beeps. So I hauled a spare monitor over and connected to see what I could see. Nothing. Jacobo just stared at me blankly like an uncooperative can of biscuits. So I did what anyone would do when there aren't any post beeps: I wept uncontrollably and endeavored to zero in on which piece of my system had died.

When I opened the case I immediatly knew the problem: The cpu fan and heatsink had apparently decided cooling the cpu wasn't a worthy persuit and opted instead to sit comfortably on the bottem of my case. The cpu was D.E.D. dead. Burnt to a crisp. It even smelled funny.

Not the worse thing. Since Jacobo is my main linux box I'll likely need to get it up and running soonish. but for now it's all gone.

1 Comments:

At 12:11 AM , Blogger M. Stewart said...

Hey, Al. I'm interested in experimenting with Linux. Can you shoot me an email to let me know how?

michaelstewart is my gmail

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home