Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Notes

My college career thus far has consisted of every concievable Computer Science concept in class form. I never did consider the "humanities" worthy of my ever more valuable time so I avoided taking them, essentially putting the onus of those classes on my future self. I figured my future self is an idiot for not taking these mickey mouse courses earlier and therefore deserves to be punished with them. (try to choose the appropriate verb tense for /that/ sentenc) Turns out I was right.

In any case I am now in many classes that do not fall under the auspices of "what I do". Ever the astute (=-D) observer of my fellow man I noticed something and now want to ponder it. Of course by "ponder" I mean gather ya'lls's opinions and choose my favorite to zealously adhere to.

In History and Geography and Oceanography the majority of students are stupid-hardcore with the note-taking. In Operating Systems and OOP and STL everyone does what I do: Sit and listen and giggle awkwardly when the professor makes a joke.

I'm concerned because I feel I should be taking notes in these other classes. My theory is that the abstract nature of CS material makes it a little silly to take notes, but these other studies are much more concrete.

Ideas?

3 Comments:

At 7:31 PM , Blogger M. Stewart said...

If its a class that requires note taking, then the sole purpose is to ferry information from the prof to you, and therefore, not a true 'humanities' course. You should drop it immediately and report it to the Liberal Arts Dean.

After doing so, register for one of Tom Palaima's classes. Select one of the Classics or History classes, but not Freshman level. Find an interesting class with good readings, fascinating discussions, and classmates old enough to drink.

 
At 7:58 PM , Blogger Alfonso Lopez said...

Well, I am sort of pigeon-holed here due to my need to graduate. But it warms the cockels of my heart to think that this is not the way it always is.

 
At 9:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not taking many notes in my (entry-level) history and government classes this semester. I find that I pay better attention when I don't take notes. And I really dislike cramming -- I prefer to learn it the first time around and lightly review before tests. And doing the reading before lecture actually helps you learn it the first time around. ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home