Saturday, September 02, 2006

The River Temarc, In Winter

So I'm sitting in my bedroom, as I am wont to do, and thinking to myself: "Self, what is going through your head is interesting and you should share it with your millions of readers". I consider that for a moment, convince myself it is a good idea and bring up the trusty browser for a few minutes of indulgant self publishing.

When I got to www.blogger.com Google presented me with the option of trying out their beta. Within me the beast of curiosity reared it's head and roared loudly. The valiant knight of forward thinking, tasked with arguing for the safe choices in life, started from his tequila-induced slumber, dreamily looked around, and, after shifting his weight, feel immediatly back to sleep. This is merely the status quo.

So I ventured to try blogger beta and immediatly discovered a bug in their conversion system involving my having identical login's for google and blogger. Perhaps "discover" isn't what I did; I more fell victim to this bug. I lost my ability to log into blogger.

Though it seems now they have fixed it =-D.

So, long story short: I have a long post to write and none of the information given will be very interesting. So read this only if you have literally nothing better to do (example: read the google fs paper, It's a good yarn). (Sidebar: Watching Jurassic Park and even though I've already been put in my place in this arena, I can't convice myself that the little girl isn't kirsten dunst...)

Anyway, here goes: I GOT A JEEEERRB! I'm not great looking, not very athletic, don't have the greatest taste in clothing, am emotionally a "high risk" and generally have a distaste for the world around me but damnit I am good at convincing people that I am brilliant and charming. Lying: Don't let the Christian Right convince you it isn't a skill worth having. Same goes for wenching, but thats a different post. So I got off of summer school (21 hours, 4.0...much love) and had a couple of weeks until the fall semester began. In the interim I hoped to cash in my flyout to Amazon so that I wouldn't have to miss classes for it. I emailed the recruiter to tell her just that and she responded in a very accomodating manner. On August 22, 2006 I flew to Seattle for the 7th time in the last 3 years. T-Bag was kind enough to take me from the airport to my hotel in Seattle.

This was the nicest hotel I have ever been in. I don't mean the nicest hotel I've ever stayed at, I mean been in: that includes asking for directions or pinching a loaf downtown. There was this switch on the wall by my bed that, when pressed, opened or closed the curtain. That was the bomb-diggity but not the best part of the Grand Hyatt of Seattle experience. See the bathroom had a bathtub. Bathtubs aren't generally worth mentioning but this particular tub was so big that I fit in it! As soon as I saw that I took my first bath since middle school. It even had that rack that goes across the tub so you can put soap, or a book, or a sandwich or whatever close-by. It was neat.

I also ran across the happy-teryaki place I ate at during my first trip to Seattle. Kind of fun. It's on 5th street. I blogged about it like 3 years go.

The interview itself was standard fair. 5 interviews, a couple of soft-pitch and a couple of hardcore and a recruiter interview. Some of the questions were very challanging. People asked and I told them it was likely my second hardest interview ever. One of my interviewers was Mormon, that was neat. Another is a drummer in a couple of bands, that was also pretty cool. All the folks I interviewed with seemed very cool. During the recruiter interview I started to explain my academic situation to make sure things would be kosher and Dustin, my recruiter, said it wouldn't be a problem in the least. That was exciting.

The next day I got the offer. Yay me. I get to live and work downtown in this big ol' building. I've always wanted to do that =-D.

So now I begin what will likely be the longest semester of my life. I'm soooo damn close. I'm taking a bunch of intro to blah classes so it shoulnd't be that hard. I just have to grit my teeth and get through it and I can leave the college life behind me for as long as I care to.

I'm excited and so in a good place. Good enough, even, to start talking to people again. I dunno, I'm surrounded by freshmen in most of my classes and though I was sick initial conversations revealed them as incredibly uninteresting.

Oh! and my OS class is in C! *Glee*

3 Comments:

At 8:13 PM , Blogger crystal said...

We're glad you're coming to Seattle too!! Now I can play a more active rolw in "The Alfonso Lopez Should Get Drunk and Do Stupid Things Coalition"...

 
At 10:55 PM , Blogger Alfonso Lopez said...

Lol, I am not sure how much the Coalition will have to do. I've always sort of internally assumed I would begin growing up once I had a full time job. In my short career of drinking I've made quite enough mistakes, thank you very much.

 
At 1:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Coalition will fucking prevail dammit!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home