Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Dum Dum Diddy!

I won't be coming back to Motive, I don't believe. They pulled the ol' bait and switch on yours truly. Where they said "you'll be working in java, and python" they meant "if you ever touch java or python while at work we will kill everyone you ever really loved". And so I find myself, finally, amongst the millions of disaffected developers in the world today. Perhaps disaffected isn't the correct word. Disillusioned seems to fit the bill. There have been wayward promises of a future with coding in it, but I remain cynical. Perhaps I'm just paying some dues before I get to do what I do best and love. Further bulletins as events warrent.

I've decided to put employment on the back burner and go the student loan route for my last semester at UT. I also have a standing offer to work at the CS shop in Taylor. It's good, sweaty work and is on campus. The only reason I am not doing it now is that it is a work study deal and I need to get my fafsa in order before I can begin there.

I'm also applying to Bike Sport Shop again. I have no clue how one breaks into the world of paid wrenches, but I'll crack that nugget at some point. The shop manager felt he needed to inform me that the pay would not be competitive with tech industry pay. I had a feeling that would be the case. I think it'd be neat to work there during Bikes For Kids, which, I imagine, is their form of "Crunch Time".

Speaking of bikes, I just did my first hydraulic disc-brake bleed on my bike. In the end it turns out my diagnoses of the problem was incorrect and I wasted 20 bucks, but the bleed went very well and now I have that under my belt. That along with truing a rotor and adjusting calipers. So now my back break is tight like I like it. During our ride at walnut this weekend the back brake was just not performing. It was actually a little scary going down some of the hills only slightly sure I could stop without flying over my handle bars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home