Sunday, April 13, 2008

No Games, Just Sport....or some such

This post will be a drawn out cliche, it's conceptual entirety having been reduced to a phrase by Nike's advertising firm. Still, I feel compelled to record the thought.

I like biking, both mountain and road. The hobby overflows with entertaining tasks outside of actual riding: Researching stuff, maintaining stuff, /buying/ stuff. For example today's afternoon was spent fixing my brakes. It was a very fulfilling afternoon.

Then there are the numbers. Speed, average speed, heartrate, distance, cadance, air pressure, temperature, gear ratios, the list goes on endlessly. Heck, when you consider it fully, you'll start to realize that a bike is less a means of conveyance than a vehicle for useless statistics to obsess over.

At the end of a ride you'll discover an intoxicating sense of accomplishment. You're bruised and cut (if mountain biking) or nursing a dull aching in inappropriate places (road) but you're finished. Chalk up a few more miles.

Still, with all of that I enjoy the white serenity during a ride most. My mind ponders nothing. If you'll forgive a poor metaphor my mind forks off processes necessary to maintain speed and a path that doesn't involve children and I am left with nothing. Even while surrounded by the complicating artifacts of my admittedly simple life I don't think a thing.

If one were to read my mind the emptiness would drive them to insanity.

Cool, huh?

Ok, every once in a while I break into song.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home