Friday, March 21, 2008

Entendre

I bought Rock Band as a Christmas present for my younger brother, Gabriel. From December 25 to January 1st, when I returned to Seattle, we played Rock Band constantly, only breaking for food and basketball. My Sister, with her power-pipes, on mic, Gabriel on the guitar, and me living out my dead fantasy on drums.

By the end of that week I had taken my first timid foray into the 'hard' level.

Then I bought it for myself last month, on a whim. With a little practice I can now call my self an 'expert' though I do drop into 'hard' when precision is important.

Like DDR before it, Rock Band requires things outside my realm of physical possibility. Sometimes you just need to hit the bass drum too quickly for my 1 foot to do it. I've tried many configurations of seating and 'footing' to no avail.

Then I remembered this jazz show I went to. Halfway through a marathon drum solo the drummer stopped all drumming except for the bass drum, which sounded like a rapid fire gun going of steadily. In a flourish he wiped his face calmly as this impossibly quick beating took place.

Sure...but how? This is how.

Surely this would be trivial to construct in the world of Rock band. 2 pedals, an oscillator and some solder and bada-boom! Double pedal.

I'll be at Fry's.


Edit: Of course the internet already has this as a thing:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home