Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Quit Looking At My V'jay-jay

My first grade teacher was Mrs. Reyna. She was, and perhaps still is, one of those teachers who doesn't take any crap from students, runs a strict curriculum and is no stranger to discipline. That old biddy could squeeze blood from a turnip. Everyone know's these teachers; ultimately they are the better teachers because they teach in a process that could be likened to fire-forgery.

I, even in my youthful development, am not wont to worry. I was once called nerves of steel Lopez by a little league announcer (who happened to be my best friend's father, Mr. Najera). So when I was put under Mrs. Reyna's tutelage I did just fine. The great pressure she puts on her students didn't really phase me. I did my work and learned quite a bit, but thats about the extent of her affect on me. She once yelled at me because I was walking around barefoot and when she asked where my shoes were I informed her that I had "dismantled" my left sneaker during her tirade about listening. Memories.

Cut to nine years later. My little brother was doing very well in kindergarten and they decide to up his math instruction to a first grade teacher. The venerable Mrs. Reyna is chosen. Turns out my little bro is quite the worrier and she had him in tears every day. Not that she was being cruel, he just worries a whole bunch about pretty much everything.

He's gotten a lot better but he's still not quite there. My school disciplinary record includes scolding, name on board (with checks), time out, letters home, constant detention, spankings, in-school suspension, real suspension, being banned from a library, and close to weekly visits with the principals. Finally I was denied admittance to NHS in high school. I never did anything bad, I just let my curiosity and affinity for harmless mischief get the best of me. I also was free and easy with my "attendance". The people running my schools were not amused.

He, however, /almost/ got detention. He was vaguely threatened with a remote possibility of detention as a result of something that wasn't even remotely his fault and he flipped out. Aparently my mom told him about me and he was speechless.

It really boils down to my taking after my dad and his taking after our mom. My dad's record includes climbing out of a window during a lecture. My grandmother told me he used to get sent home early so often that she would have an afternoon snack ready. My mom never got detention. Period. And they went to Catholic school!

It makes me kind of sad. For instance, he will never grace a stage. On the other side of the coin, he is so anal retentive that he gets incredibly good grades. Where I brought home B's and C's he is getting solid A's. I just worry about him locking up during tests and interviews etc. It's already happening during his UIL stuff. So i've taken to give him the advice I gave so many people I've tutored during the years. I can't tell him to have a couple of shots of vodka..but I make do.

Let all hope he doesn't flip out.

6 Comments:

At 12:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I take after your mom too.

 
At 1:39 PM , Blogger crystal said...

I'm sure glad I never had you as a student. :P

And I think I take after your mom too. I only got detention once and it was for chewing gum in Speech/Debate class... I was so ashamed of myself.

 
At 3:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pulled the fire alarm in plain view of at least 300 students and at least a dozen teachers and administrators. In high school.

I was so schway, however, I was able to talk myself out of the felony charge and even out of discipliany action visited by the school. I managed to turn that visit to the principal's office into a First-Period-Skipping-long conversation about high school and college football.

Keep in mind I went to a high school that had hundreds of security cameras, barbed wire, near weekly bomb threats mobilizing bomb-sniffing K-9 Units from San Antonio (2-2.5 hours away) and was situated in a city where "gang violence" encompasses execution-style shootings and people getting their arms sliced off with swords.

 
At 7:42 PM , Blogger Alfonso Lopez said...

Yeah, we had similar problems. Bomb threats and all. Though the legendary Laredo violance dwarfs our experience.

 
At 10:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

has your brother had the pleasure of a girlfriend yet? Bc i think once he realized how incredibly difficult women are he'll chill out about everything else :)

 
At 7:05 AM , Blogger Alfonso Lopez said...

Thats a good point, and he is a good looking, athletic musician with good grades, it won't take long.

Though he could be one of those dudes who is easily manipulated by a woman...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home