Thursday, September 22, 2005

Every material object you own and/or cherish is in 1 room and that room is going to be destroyed. If someone is able to go into that room and rescue a subset of those items for you what would you have them get?

I asked a few friends this after my sister called me and told me they were evacuating their houston home because they were at a high risk of flooding and tornado damage. It's a vaguely interesting problem. I wound up having her take these items:

A carry-on filing cabinet with my personal records since 1998.

A cigar box full of pictures, newspaper clippings and a variety of other items of nostalgic value. All three of my major girlfriends make an appearance in that cigar box along with many high school trips, family events and personal successes. It's over-flowing and hasn't been fully closed in a good decade.

Thomas. Transitively important to me.

A yellow whistle. I've had this little yellow whistle since I was in the 7th grade. I aquired it during a Jazz Band trip to San Antonio. I originally kept it around because it represented a girl. Not much later it just offered a reminder of a really fun part of my life. I've had it only hours longer than the cigar box. The cigar box was called into service when I got the pictures from that very Jazz Band trip. I guess I started to care about life around middle school.

My journal. It contains scarce entries chronicling my life starting on February 1st, 1990. The damn thing is close to 16 years old and is still only about half full. I very rarely add entries to it anymore. When I do they are long and incredibly introspective.

So if that house gets flooded I lose all of my computer gear, speakers, bed, furniture, TV, books, and most of my clothing. Good Times. =-D

1 Comments:

At 5:42 PM , Blogger crystal said...

I wonder what keeps my website from getting these spam comments... cause I've never had any *knock on wood*

If I were in the situation of losing all my stuff (in my current apartment), I'd have someone get:
- My baby blanket. I was brought home from the hospital in it and slept with it under or near my pillow every night up until... college I think. But I still have it even now and it resides near my bed.
- My boyfriend box. It contains pictures and notes and strange memoribilia.
- All my picture posters. Over the past several years, I've made picture posters that hang on my walls that bring back loads of memories.
- A wooden box. That contains all sorts of birthday cards, postcards, and nice notes that people have given me over the years. Oh, and it has all my important documents, like passport, SS card, and old IDs and Driver's Licenses.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home