Thursday, September 15, 2005

Katrina Post

As I am sure most of you are aware, some sort of meteorological circumstances caused a bit of damage in The Big Easy. I fancy myself fairly independent from sensationalism in American media. I shy from reality shows, I only read news online from non-mainstream sources, and convulse in viceral reaction to the canned laughter of sitcoms. But when something horrible happens I, virtually, gooseneck with the worst of them.

So when NOLA got hit by Katrina I spent hours a day hungrily looking for fresh news, novel views, and interesting commentary. I also donated money since my geographic position castrates my ability to put my shoulder to the wheel legitimately. During my rabid scour of the web I became aware of the controversy involving the 3 levels of governments slow response and I had to ask myself this: What the hell is the controversy?

If a government allows thousands of needless deaths because of days of inaction there is no call for "controversy". The call, indeed, is for all out public outrage. If the media gets there 4 days before the government then you have an issue. By the time the media gets there there should be a federally funded wall with men with guns holding back the media so the American people, including currently dead citizens of New Orleans, can have a "c0ntroversy" about freedom of press. What the heck happened?

Sidebar: If I hadn't have stayed in Seattle I would be living with my sister, in Houston. This is interesting because she, as a nutrionist, works at the largest food back in Travis county. As you can imagine, they are very busy. We all know Americans are quick to pitch in when tragedy strikes so it's no surprise that the food bank had to turn away a large number of volunteers because they had to many. If I were down there I could have been there day-of helping out, and it bums me out that I am not

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home