Monday, January 07, 2008

Next Weekend?

In the past I have taken great pains and incurred considerable cost to enjoy the privilege of strapping planks to and hurling my body towards the nearest jut of rock that lies downhill. Whether I was originally drawn toward the sport as a means of maximizing the odds I achieve the 'splits' in an unsolicited manner or some other facet was more appealing I do not know. What I do know is that maintaining my balance on those damn skis proved more difficult than nailing jello to a wall.

It would seem that immediately after developing a comfort on skis that deeply held part of my psyche that screams for death arrested control of my consciousness just long enough to strap both my feet into a single plank.

It would be dishonest to complain. I can't help but love any activity that punishes failure with a thorough and unrelenting pain. The aches and bruises and chipped teeth function as badges of honor, as penance happily paid for the thrill of achievement.

But I am dishonest: Snowboarding did things to my body. Horrible things. Things I wouldn't enjoy even in a sexual context. In this sport's creator you'll find a viscous dark so pure it would sear your retinas blind.

This morning I could have liked nothing more than to stand neck-deep in a tub of Bengay.

So now I am hopped up on Aleve and smothered in a 2 inch layer of icy hot. And coding =-D.

1 Comments:

At 4:52 PM , Blogger longinoa said...

Does the Next Weekend? mean you are asking for volunteers to go next weekend as you had sooo much fun in your bengay bath you want to do it again?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home