Friday, November 23, 2007

Time for Leftover planning

I experienced an odd acceptance of my orphaned Thanksgiving. In the days leading up to T-day I guessed I would feel a sort of loss at not being surrounded by my family, I felt no such loss.

In fact I don't believe I had any attention to spare for navel-gazing as the entire day was spent preparing dinner. My much-lamented proclivity toward preparing everything I cook from scratch proved most costly when compounded by several dishes I was unfamiliar with.

Everything right down to the chicken stock was made from point zero and so, technically, I began cooking dinner on Monday (And if you count the stock I already had the beginning point would be sometime last week).

On the flipside my guests each brought a dish so the logistical onus wasn't so great as my Mother's back home.

The Menu:
Turkey (A little under done...sad)
stuffing (Came out very well, had to use eggless bread)
Green Bean Cassorole (decent, though it got the most positive feedback, after cranberry fluff)
Cranberry Fluff (folks liked it)
Corn Bread (Burned to a crisp)
Rolls (big hit! I'm keeping the recipe)
Gravy (I Loved it...I think I might have been the only one though)
Cranberry gravy (I made this up on the spot, I loved it...no one else tried it)
Mashed Potatos (Jonathon brought these. He made them hella spicy)
Pecan Pie (Compliments of blake. Fucking delicious, I had it for breakfast this morning)
Pumpkin Pie ( Nick: He made the whipped cream too. Very impressive)

I learned a lot of things throughout the day:

1. 22 lbs is too much turkey
2. I don't have any serving plates, leastwise one big enough for a turkey
3. I don't have any serving bowls....I don't have any serving anything. My kitchen is well able to prepare most anything, but delivering the product to consumers is outside its charter apparently.
4. Preparing 8 things to be served hot simultaneously is difficult.
5. Wear shoes if you're going to be standing all day
6. I suck at Halo 3....geneva convention.

The whole day was awesome. I love cooking.

1 Comments:

At 8:27 PM , Blogger crystal said...

what about the delicious squashed apples! I'm having leftovers of those now!

Oh, and pictures are on fb. I learned that blog readers like pictures.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home