Monday, March 26, 2007

I might even try Monopoly again

If you were to combine a handful of computer scientists, a copy of the board game clue, and an evening of free time what do you imagine would be the result? I've seen the result, and brother, it isn't pretty.

When I was a kid I remember my sister really loved to play clue and generally I was involved. We found it enjoyable but not particularly intricate. A CS Degree and an ego built entirely on my intellect later Clue is by far the most interwoven game of deduction ever conceived.

You can't picture it until you've seen it with your own eyes. By the second turn, thats two turns, as a card is slid across the table intense eyes hidden behind furrowed brows stare unblinkingly at tiny pieces of paper upon which you'll find notes so meticulously fashioned you'd think we were proving p=np. As the game wears on the scratching of pencil on paper becomes increasingly mad. Near the end we speak a language only we know, a language completely without sound.

At one point my poor neighbor came down to see whats up. As she looked on Jim said something to the effect of "I suggest it was Mrs. Peacock in the Lounge with the Candlestick". See but I knew, from my notes, that Jim /must/ have the Candlestick card. He was lying, without remorse, to us all and it disgusted me. A common enough thing to do, but in the fury of the moment I shouted "BULLSHIT". Imagine what my neighbor saw: "I suggest it was Mrs. Peacock in the Lounge with the Candlestick"
....
"BULLSHIT"!

What do you mean? She asked. He didn't even say anything that could be bullshit. But I knew.

Even now the design for a clue note taking tool brews in the back of my mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home