Friday, March 23, 2007

I Actually Like Corn

A couple of years ago Tan showed me this interesting article on how many publications with delusions of legitimacy are merely shills for the highest bidder, that in fact many articles are not written by columnists but rather given to columnists by pr firms. So if you were to, say, stumble across an article discussing the nations incipient movement back to being "well dressed" you would have probably just read something written by or for 'The Men's Wearhouse". It was written by one who claimed to be part of that world.

The article mentioned some known offenders and some known publications you could trust, mentioning the New York Times specifically.

Pushing through irony so thick it could close and airport, I took the lesson to heart. It fit well with my recently adapted cynicism and I've taken pleasure during the time since in trying to figure which article is trying to sell me something.

Today though I was reading this article and missed it. The article was actually interesting and I didn't realize my mistake until I found out, on Amazon.com, that the book mentioned wasn't even out yet.

I feel to be sporting I should buy the book anyway, I was simply outclassed. Shameless as the advertising was, I was taken in.

So yeah...I'm stupid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home