Thursday, July 05, 2007

I think that carrot thing is true

I enjoy the interwebcom. Often I'll read various news sites and blogs. I also discuss various news points with friends, coworkers, people on the bus. There's something I need to get off my chest:

Correlation /DOES/ imply causation damnit! It might be a bit of semantic nit-picking but implication is a suggestion of arguable strength and moreover that suggestion is clearly being made by whatever correlation you have noticed. To say correlation implies causation is in no way attempting to establish some syllogistic necessity of the B from the A.

If you can accept that, and if you can't do not tell me because I will think much less of you, then it's very clear that correlation implies causation, if only weakly.

"Everyone who eats carrots dies." The implication here is very weak, but, even as an exercise in degenerate cases, exists.

The more salient correlations are salient precisely because of that implication and criticizing a citation merely on the grounds that it is correlation is a very foolish thing to do.

So foolish, in fact, that I just realized I don't believe anyone actually places any faith in that strategy. They employ it to cast away some damning evidence against their stance.

Anyway...people are dumb.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home