Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Oh, and John Cusack Too.

Arguably it's merely a contrivance, an artifact, an outcome if you like, of my ongoing effort to learn to and subsequently play the banjo, but I have a bit of a taste for the bluegrass now. I could argue back, then, and put forth that I wouldn't have picked up the banjo if I had not some latent bluegrass-ness already in the wings waiting for it's discovery. You would then retort with a statement of your complete lack of interest in bluegrass and anyone who wishes to discuss bluegrass, even people who were so recently interesting to you.

Yes, in my attempts to find folks to attend bluegrass concerts and jam nights I have been meet with regular disappointment. Notably excepted is Blake, who expressed interest in the latter; unfortunately the jam night I found in Fremont occurs on Mondays, when both Blake and I have a league b-ball game. For the most part, however, when I ask how someone feels about bluegrass I am generally answered with a very cautious "why?" and a sense that the question was only a stall so the asker could determine the most diplomatic way to call me a hayseed with bad taste.

Fear not! For I discovered a coincidence the likes of which boggle the mind. See, I was at this concert where a friend of a friend's Latin Jazz band was playing. After they were done we were discussing music and whatnot (I generally relish a chance to inform someone I played in a jazz band). I asked him, as a man in the music scene in Seattle, if there even existed a bluegrass community in the area. His response was emphatic! He said there was not only a thriving bluegrass scene, but a revival occurring. I was excited but wary. That seemed odd to me.

But then I woke up last week to a NPR piece about a most recent Bluegrass revival in Western Washington State (which I take to mean Seattle). Since, much like the internet and the papacy, anything NPR says is absolutely true you ccould imagine my excitement.

All I need to do is gain enough confidence to play with others. A mass whose criticality is steadily being approached.


p.s. I am listening to a blugrass version of Tenacious D right now.

p.p.s I still hate modest mouse. Where is your god now?

6 Comments:

At 10:12 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Yay bluegrass!! There is a version on modest mouse bluegrass style and you might think it an improvement hehe. Miss you. I almost sent you a stuffed spider monkey I found at bed bath and beyond but decided I would send something much better...A. Are you in the mood for micky cookies B. if i send them will you get them?? In other words how many can I send before they don't fit into your mailbox

 
At 10:51 AM , Blogger Alfonso Lopez said...

Do mickey cookies travel well? Really any size would get to me. If it's to big they just give it to the office. I'll take a gross. Yes, I think thats a nice round figure.

 
At 8:10 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

hehe "a gross"
does that count as "waxing" (notice the quotation marks...not a real word.)

 
At 10:11 AM , Blogger Alfonso Lopez said...

Phleh, philistine. There's nothing wrong with a good vocabulary.

 
At 10:30 AM , Blogger Daniel Brown said...

Bluegrass... hmm... Have you listened to any Bela Fleck?

 
At 10:07 AM , Blogger Alfonso Lopez said...

Just did, I like it! Sort of kennyg meets foggy mountain...=-D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home